Super Bowl LVI is right around the corner and Michigan sports bettors have their attention locked on Matthew Stafford.
The former Detroit Lion has the Los Angeles Rams set to meet the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday night. With expectations high on Stafford, especially here in Michigan, there are plenty of betting options for him on Sunday.
Here’s a collection of what you can find from the various sportsbooks if you want to put some money down on No. 9.
Stafford the Super Bowl MVP favorite
Currently, Stafford finds himself as the favorite in the Super Bowl LVI MVP. DraftKings Sportsbook MI lists him at +100, while BetMGM Michigan has him at +135.
FanDuel Sportsbook MI actually has an option for Stafford to win MVP (+118) vs. the Field (-146).
Stafford is getting a strong push from Michigan in the MVP market, according to BetMGM. He’s getting 13% of the tickets and 14% of the handle nationally. Those numbers increase to 29% of the tickets and 33% of the handle in Michigan.
A quarterback has won Super Bowl MVP 31 times in its history. The winning quarterback has won four of the last five MVP honors.
Sticking with the basics
While there’s a lot to consider wagering on for this game, let’s start from the ground up.
Here’s what BetMGM is offering in baseline props for Matthew Stafford:
- Passing Yards: Over 279.5 (-115), Under 279.5 (-115)
- Passing Touchdowns: Over 1.5 (-225), Under 1.5 (+165)
- Interceptions Thrown: Over 0.5 (-140), Under 0.5 (+105)
- Passing Attempts: Over 36.5 (-115), Under 36.5 (-115)
- Longest Pass Completion: Over 38.5 (-115), Under 38.5 (-110)
- Pass Completions: Over 24.5 (+100), Under 24.5 (-135)
- Passing + Rushing Yards: Over 287.5 (-115), Under 287.5 (-110)
Stafford has thrown for 905 yards and six touchdowns this postseason, completing 72 of 100 passes.
After a quiet showing against the Arizona Cardinals to start the playoff run, Stafford has thrown for more than 300 yards in each of the past two games. He has just one interception in the postseason.
Stafford vs. Burrow
DraftKings has a number of Stafford matchup betting options to consider against Joe Burrow of the Bengals.
- Most Passing Touchdowns: Stafford (+105); Burrow (+150); Tie (+310)
- Most Passing Yards: Stafford (-120); Burrow (+100)
- Most Rushing Yards: Stafford (+280); Burrow (-400)
- Most Interceptions Thrown: Stafford (-120); Burrow (-110)
- Most Pass Completions: Stafford (-110); Burrow (-110)
- Most Pass Attempts: Stafford (-110); Burrow (-110)
- Higher QB Passer Rating: Stafford (-120); Burrow (-110)
Burrow has thrown for 842 yards and four touchdowns in his three playoff games. He has completed 75 of 109 passes with two interceptions.
Cincinnati has spent a lot of time playing from behind this postseason, while the Rams have typically been ahead.
Finding a hot quarter
FanDuel is offering up betting options for Stafford by quarter, including touchdowns thrown and yardage.
- Will he throw a 1st Quarter TD: Yes (+130); No (-165)
- Will he throw a 2nd Quarter TD: Yes (+100); No (-125)
- Will he throw a 3rd Quarter TD: Yes (+135); No (-170)
- Will he throw a 4th Quarter TD: Yes (+100); No (-125)
- Stafford 1st Quarter Passing Yards: Over/Under 64.5
- Stafford 1st Half Passing Yards: Over/Under 139.5
The first quarter hasn’t been terribly kind to Stafford this season. He has just four touchdowns with four interceptions this season in the opening 15 minutes of games.
In the second, he has thrown 15 touchdowns, most of any quarter. However, he also has eight interceptions.
Stafford’s fourth quarter has been his most efficient with 12 touchdowns and no interceptions.
Stafford vs. NBA/NHL
If you’re looking for some cross-sport betting, Caesars Sportsbook MI has you covered for that.
Matthew Stafford finds himself up against some great NBA and NHL athletes.
- What will be more: Matthew Stafford’s yards on first completion (-0.5, -120) or Russell Westbrook’s assists on Feb. 12 (+0.5, -110)
- What will be more: Matthew Stafford pass attempts (+0.5, +115) or Jayson Tatum points+rebounds on Feb. 13 (-0.5, -115)
- What will be more: Matthew Stafford completions (PICK, -120) or Anthony Edwards points scored on Feb. 13 (PICK, -110)
- What will be more: Matthew Stafford touchdown passes (+0.5, -115) or Cale Makar total shots on goal on Feb. 13 (-0.5, -115)
Piecing these wagers together requires some research beyond football.
Russell Westbrook and the L.A. Lakers are playing on the road against the Golden State Warriors on Feb. 12. Jayson Tatum and the Boston Celtics host the Atlanta Hawks on Super Bowl Sunday. Anthony Edwards and the Minnesota Timberwolves travel to the Indiana Pacers.
Cale Makar and the Colorado Avalanche travel to the Dallas Stars on Sunday.
Will Stafford score a TD?
One area Stafford is not a favorite amongst his peers is in the Player Touchdown Markets.
Though throwing a TD pass seems likely, will Stafford himself ever cross the goal line in Sunday’s game?
BetRivers Sportsbook MI lists Stafford at +700 to score at any point in the game.
He’s also listed at +4000 to be the game’s first TD scorer, and +3500 to be the game’s final TD scorer. You can even bet on him to score in the first half, which is listed at +1600.
The +700 prop is interesting, as Stafford has scored a rushing touchdown in two of the three playoff games this year. He also has at least four rushing attempts in each playoff game this season.
How high will Stafford go?
If you don’t like the baseline over/under for Stafford’s passing yards (279.5), don’t worry. You will have the option to fit things more into your wheelhouse.
Here’s what PointsBet Sportsbook MI is offering up for Stafford passing yards options:
- Get 200+ Passing Yards: -1401
- Get 250+ Passing Yards: -250
- Get 300+ Passing Yards: +130
- Get 350+ Passing Yards: +425
PointsBet actually has its baseline over/under for passing yards at 280.5. While the over is getting 86% of the bets nationally at PB, it is getting 95% in Michigan.
Stafford has gone over 280.5 passing yards in 12 of 20 games during the season. He is facing Cincinnati’s pass defense that ranks 26th in the league, allowing 248.4 yards per game.