Sunday was a good night for sportsbooks thanks to the Kansas City Chiefs winning the Super Bowl.
The 1.5-point underdog prevailed 38-35 over the Philadelphia Eagles in a thrilling game.
Across the country, most of the money was on the Eagles as the favorite.
At Michigan sportsbooks, the money was a little more evenly spread out between the two teams.
Michigan bettors hit on the over, split on Super Bowl winner
In Michigan, the majority of bets were on the Eagles as the favorite, but the handle was another story.
At DraftKings Sportsbook MI, 69.8% of Michigan’s wagers were on the Eagles as the favorite. However, 54.8% of the handle went on the Chiefs.
At BetMGM Michigan, 62% of the tickets went on the Eagles minus the points. However, the handle was split 50-50 between the two teams.
Where Michigan sportsbooks took a hit on Sunday was the over. The over saw the majority of handle at both BetMGM (74%) and DraftKings (68%).
Chiefs win good for sportsbooks nationally
Nationally, the Chiefs victory was the ideal outcome for sportsbooks.
With more than $1.1 billion projected to be legally wagered on the Super Bowl, the sportsbooks got the Chiefs’ win they needed.
“The Chiefs winning the Super Bowl is what BetMGM needs,” said Seamus Magee, BetMGM Sports Trader, prior to the Super Bowl.
Asked and answered.
BetMGM nationally had 67% of bets and 68% of the handle on the Eagles to cover.
BetMGM also had many of its largest wagers going on the Eagles.
- $1.25 million to win $1 million on the Eagles moneyline (-125)
- $1 million to win $800,000 on the Eagles moneyline (-125)
- $100,000 to win $90,909 on the Eagles spread (-1.5)
- $50,000 to win $45,454 on the Eagles spread (-1.5)
The over was still the strong play across the nation. BetMGM had 68% of the handle on the over for Sunday’s game.
Big betting day at BetMGM Sports Lounge
It’s not too surprising that retail sportsbooks saw a lot of action on the Super Bowl.
The BetMGM Sports Lounge at the MGM Grand Detroit approximates it took in more than $800,000 in handle on the game. On Sunday, it is reporting that nearly $700,000 was wagered on the Super Bowl.
The top five bets placed at the BetMGM Sports Lounge for the Super Bowl were:
- $60,000 on the Eagles -1.5
- $55,000 on the Eagles -1.5
- $50,000 on the Eagles -1.5
- $35,000 on the Chiefs first half money line
- $35,000 on the Chiefs +1.5 (won $66,818.20)
What were the most popular Super Bowl prop bets in Michigan?
Michigan was split on some of its most popular prop wagers for Super Bowl LVII.
According to DraftKings Sportsbook MI, these were the most popular non-TD prop odds wagered on in the state:
- Travis Kelce Over 6.5 receptions: Finished with 6
- Quez Watkins Under 1.5 receptions: Finished with 1
- Patrick Mahomes Over 38.5 passing attempts: Finished with 27
- Dallas Goedert Over 45.5 receiving yards: Finished with 60
- Patrick Mahomes over 290.5 passing yards: Finished with 182
Travis Kelce was the most popular prop bet for BetMGM across the country.
Kelce as the first touchdown scorer (+650) and to score an anytime TD (-125) were the two most popular prop wagers. Kelce did score in the game, but it wasn’t the first touchdown.