As the 2021 NFL season nears, Michigan sportsbooks are piling on the player prop markets. Before the opening kickoff for the Detroit Lions in Week 1 at home against the San Francisco 49ers, you’ve got all sorts of NFL props at your fingertips.
Sports bettors can look at win totals — which we’ve previously discussed — along with player totals and other team-based markets on several of the state’s sports betting apps.
Let’s take a look.
What is prop betting?
Prop bets (short for proposition bets) are wagers offered by sportsbooks that are determined by an individual or team performance or whether or not an event occurs in a game.
As far as the NFL is concerned, here’s the thrust of what you’re looking at:
- Season-long team props
- Season-long individual player props
- Individual game team props
- Individual player props
There are some changes to the 2021 season that will affect the types of numbers you see with prop bets. The NFL regular season now consists of 17 games, so you’re going to see higher base numbers for most statistical props. But these props only account for that regular-season schedule, so don’t consider postseason possibilities here.
For individual week props, remember that the odds are fixed at the time of your bet. So if you lock in Detroit quarterback Jared Goff at over 275 yards passing for a given week, for example, and tine moves in either direction, you’re set at your original bet.
Oh, and watch those injury reports! Status listings of “questionable” should have you thinking twice about many individual prop bets.
Detroit Lions prop bets
But the brand also has plenty of ways for you to bet on the Lions in season-long fashion, too.
- Detroit Lions making the playoffs (+700 Yes, -1100 No)
- Scaled over/under win totals charts, from 1.5 (over -1600, under +800) to 9.5 (over +1100, under -3000)
- Exact regular-season totals, odds ranging from +450 (same odds for 4 or 5) to +100000 (same odds for 15, 16 or 17)
- Stage of elimination: Miss playoffs (-1100), lose wild card (+1000), lose divisional (+1600), lose NFC title game (+10000), lose the Super Bowl (+15000), win the Super Bowl (+25000)
- Week of Lions’ first win and loss
- Lions to start 4-0, 0-4, 6-0 or 0-6
- Win all six division games (+25000), or lose all six (+400)
- Win all home or road games (+100000 each), or lose them all (+1600 home, +400 road)
- Will a game end in a tie? (+1600 Yes)
Detroit Lions DraftKings specials
In addition to some standard team futures, DraftKings Sportsbook is offering these unique regular-season betting markets and parlay combos.
- D’Andre Swift over 51.5 receptions AND Breshad Perriman over 740.5 receiving yards, +250
- Lions to be NFC No. 1 seed, +20000
- Lions to have a winning record, +1000
- Jamaal Williams over 725.5 rushing yards AND T.J. Hockenson over 5.5 receiving touchdowns, +225
- Jared Goff over 21.5 touchdown passes AND D’Andre Swift over 7.5 rushing touchdowns AND T.J. Hockenson over 775.5 receiving yards, +550
- Romeo Okwara over 8.5 sacks AND Amon-Ra St. Brown over 500.5 receiving yards, +275
Lions-focused DraftKings match bets
DraftKings also has a few individual head-to-head bets focused on Lions players this season.
- More passing yards: Jared Goff (-150) vs. Ryan Fitzpatrick (+115)
- More passing touchdowns: Jared Goff (-110) vs. Zack Wilson (-120)
- More rushing yards: D’Andre Swift (-165) vs. Mike Davis (+120)
- More rushing touchdowns: D’Andre Swift (-130) vs. David Montgomery (+100)
Most/fewest team bets for Detroit Lions
Back over at BetMGM, several markets are available for the teams who will perform the best or worst this season.
- Favorite: Kansas City Chiefs +350
- Lions: +50000
- Favorite: Houston Texans +200
- Lions: +400
Most points scored
- Favorite: Chiefs +500
- Lions: +12500
Fewest points scored
- Favorite: Texans +350
- Lions: +700
Fewest points allowed
- Favorite: Baltimore Ravens +800
- Lions: +10000
- Favorite: Washington Football Team +600
- Lions: +20000
Select Detroit Lions 2021 NFL player props
Jared Goff NFL props
- Over/under 4,015.5 at FanDuel Sportsbook (-112 each way)
- DraftKings: 3,995.5 (-115 each way)
- BetMGM: 3,995.5 (-110 each way)
- DraftKings: 20.5 (over -110, under -120)
- BetMGM: 20.5 (over -115, under -110)
- DraftKings: 13.5 (over/under, each -115)
T.J. Hockenson NFL props
- FanDuel: 775.5 (over -118, under -108)
- DraftKings: 770.5 (over/under, each -115)
- BetMGM: 775.5 (over/under, each -110)
- DraftKings: 5 (over -120, under -110)
- DraftKings: 77.5 (over/under, each -115)
D’Andre Swift NFL props
- FanDuel: 875.5 (over -102, under -126)
- DraftKings: 900.5 (over -110, under -120)
- BetMGM: 900.5 (over/under, each -110)
- DraftKings: 8.5 (over +110, under -140)
- DraftKings: 52.5 (over/under, each -110)
Romeo Okwara NFL props
- DraftKings: 7.5 (over +110, under -140)