When Michigan online sports betting launches later this year, players will be able to comb a variety of promotions and free bets to increase their odds each week.
But for now, with retail sportsbooks as the only sports betting options in the state, casinos are looking for ways to get sports fans in the door.
Others are getting customers the old-fashioned way: Beer specials.
Promotions are even more important than usual this fall, as sports betting is new and some players are hesitant to come back during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Here is a look at what Michigan casinos are doing to attract the first wave of Michigan sports bets this football season.
Thursday FanDuel odds boosts are 3 for 3 at MotorCity
FanDuel has been offering odds boosts for each Thursday night NFL game this season, along with the occasional Sunday boosts.
Heading into this week’s New York Jets and Denver Broncos “showdown,” each of FanDuel’s Thursday boosts have won each week this season. However, the book’s Sunday boosts have not all hit.
The Thursday bets were:
- A two-bet parlay of Patrick Mahomes to throw for three or more touchdowns and the Kansas City Chiefs to win. That won with odds boosted from +154 to +250.
- A two-bet parlay for Cleveland and Cincinnati to score over 9.5 points in the first quarter and the Browns to win. Boosted odds went from +169 to +250 for the winning wager.
- A bet that Jacksonville and Miami would score at least a touchdown apiece in each half cashed. The odds boosted from +142 to +200.
This week, the special is that the Broncos and Jets will both score 15 or more points. Odds are boosted from -104 to +140.
This Sunday’s odds boost at FanDuel is a three-team moneyline parlay for Tampa Bay, Seattle and Dallas. The +152 odds are boosted to +220.
Each customer can place one boosted bet. The maximum bet is $200.
Little River has weekly ‘Pick The Winners’ contest
Little River Casino in Manistee is offering an office pool-type of football picks contest to get fans in the door.
The River Rock Sportsbook & Lounge “Pick The Winners” contest offers players a chance for more than $12,000 in Rivers credits throughout the season. Players have to come in and pick football winners each week from Tuesday until Thursday.
The Manistee sportsbook has also had T-shirt giveaways after players make a bet of $100 or more.
Food specials include a brat and 16-ounce beer for $5 on Thursdays and Saturdays.
Greektown drawings give free Super Bowl bets
The Greektown Casino sportsbook is advertising a Future Frenzy contest on its Twitter page.
According to the post, the casino will draw names throughout NFL game days for a chance to win prizes. Those include $50 in bonus play and a $25 free bet on an NFL team to win the Super Bowl.
The contest runs through Oct. 12 and players have to be playing a slot machine or table game with their rewards card to be entered.
Beer specials work for sportsbooks too
- The BetAmerica Sportsbook at Island Resort & Casino has $3 Miller Lites every Monday, Thursday, and Sunday during football season.
- Onyx Sports Book by William Hill at Turtle Creek Casino in Williamsburg has $2 off beer buckets each Thursday. Check out other drink specials here.