Bet soccer online in Michigan
Ah, soccer. The beautiful game. The most popular sport in the world offers plenty of opportunities for betting in Michigan. In fact, you may not find another sport with more betting options than soccer. Because of the sport’s worldwide appeal, there are numerous professional games almost every single day of the year.
With the English Premier League season underway, and the World Cup right around the corner, it’s a great time to be a soccer bettor. This page has everything you need to get started with betting soccer online in Michigan including live odds and game lines for two of the most popular soccer leagues, Major League Soccer and the Premier League.
Best sportsbooks in Michigan for soccer betting
Live MLS, Premier League Odds
For soccer fans in Michigan you can find live odds for virtual any soccer league at Michigan online sportsbooks. Two of the most popular are Major League Soccer and the English Premier League, which you can find live odds for below. Use the drop-down menu on the left to change your odds board. Click on any odds to go straight to the sportsbook and get your bets in.
World Cup 2022 odds
The 2022 World Cup is scheduled for November and December 2022 in Qatar.
It will include the top 31 national teams in the world and a team from host nation Qatar. The 2022 group and knockout stages will be held over 28 days with the final scheduled for Dec. 18, 2022.
Best apps for betting soccer in Michigan
The launch of legal sports betting means you can now bet on soccer at retail sportsbooks in Michigan.
Additionally, the state’s first sportsook apps let you bet on soccer with a phone or tablet anywhere you are inside state lines, provided you have internet access.
Here’s a look at two top Michigan soccer betting apps that are among the first in the state:
- BetMGM: BetMGM hosts a wide selection of bets on soccer games around the globe. You will find available markets for most of the major soccer leagues, including Major League Soccer (MLS), Champions League, English Premier League, Euro League, and the upcoming World Cup in 2022.
- FanDuel Sportsbook: FanDuel offers soccer betting markets on leagues from around the world. You can find almost any type of wager that you could want, from moneyline bets to totals goals and three-way spread betting. There is a FanDuel Sportsbook app available for iOS and Android devices.
Legal soccer betting apps vs. offshore
Offshore and illegal betting apps may have been taking bets on soccer for years, but there are several reasons why you should move your action over to legal and regulated operations instead.
Licensed Michigan sports betting apps offer a safe, legal, and state-regulated betting environment. If something goes awry, you can turn to the Michigan Gaming Control Board for help.
Elsewhere, oversight for offshore and illegal operators is run by shady gaming authorities funded by these operators, not your state government. Good luck getting any help when something inevitably goes wrong. There’s no question your money is safe and secure when you bet with legal and regulated Michigan sportsbooks. You’re certainly taking an unnecessary risk with it with illegal offshore sportsbooks.
Licensed and regulated Michigan operators use legitimate banking methods and work with US banks. Illegal offshore operators do everything they can to hide their illegitimate banking activity with banks that are willing to turn a blind eye to it. Betting on soccer with illegal offshore sportsbooks is like risking your money twice.
How to read soccer odds and lines
Soccer, or football, is the most popular sport on the planet. You are likely to have watched the game from time to time. However, you may not be used to reading the betting information that goes along with each game. You will need to be able to do so, though, because most leagues and international competitions, Michigan sportsbooks offer betting on every single game.
That means you can place basic moneyline, spread, and totals bets for most soccer games around the world right here in Michigan.
While it is true that each league’s season varies in length, you’ll find futures betting markets surrounding each of them at most Michigan sportsbooks . Plus, most Michigan sportsbooks offer soccer futures on top international competitions.
Live betting is also available for high-profile soccer games, allowing you to bet on basic lines during a game at odds that change throughout.
One major difference between betting on soccer and other sports is the three-way bet. Because ties are so common in the sport, it is necessary to provide an option for wagering for both the win and the draw.
You might also find the following unique-to-soccer betting markets here in Michigan:
- Double chance wagers: In the spirit of the three-way bet, you can wager such that you win the bet if your selected team wins the game OR if the game ends in a tie.
- Card betting: Yellow and red cards happen, and the prospect of their appearance in a game is as good a thing to bet as any other aspect of a game.
- Corner kick betting: You can also bet on the number of corner kicks that a particular game may feature.
Which soccer leagues can I bet on?
- MLS: The top 27-team pro soccer league in North America runs its 34-game regular season from March to October.
- English Premier League: England’s 20-team top football league famous the world over.
- USL Championship: Another North American league, and most importantly, home to Detroit City FC.
- La Liga: Spain’s highest football league.
- Serie A: Italy’s premier pro football league.
- Bundesliga: Germany’s top-tier pro football league.
- Ligue 1: France’s main soccer league.
- UEFA Champions League: The top European club football championship season.
- Liga MX: Mexico’s premier soccer league consists of two championship tournaments: Torneo Apertura and Torneo Clausura.
- UEFA European Championship (Euro 2020): Europe’s international team championship tournament should have occurred in June 2020 and July 2020. However, the 12-country event has now been postponed until June 2021. Futures markets are open in Michigan.
- 2022 FIFA World Cup: The World Cup international team championship tournament is scheduled for November to December 2022 in Qatar. The final is scheduled for Dec. 18, 2022. World Cup futures markets are open in Michigan.
Detroit City FC
Despite several attempts to bring an MLS franchise to Detroit, there is no MLS franchise in the entire state of Michigan.
Detroit’s last bid for an MLS franchise, led by Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert and Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores, ended in 2019 when the league picked Austin, Texas; Charlotte, North Carolina; Sacramento, California; and St. Louis, Missouri for its next expansions instead.
The Detroit bid was considered a frontrunner in 2017 when it included building a soccer-specific stadium but lost footing when they changed the plan to play in downtown Detroit’s Ford Field.
However, there is a pro soccer team in Detroit.
Detroit City FC became a professional soccer club when it joined the third-tier National Independent Soccer Association in 2019. It is now a member of the USL Championship.
The club previously competed in the amateur National Premier Soccer League, hosting games at Cass Technical High School before moving to Keyworth Stadium in Hamtramck.
Detroit City FC raised $741,250 for renovations at the stadium before moving in. The club has averaged an attendance of around 5,000 fans per game at Keyworth.
Some Michigan sportsbooks offer USL Championship markets and Detroit City FC odds.
Bet on US national teams
The United States Men’s National Soccer Team (USMNT) is back in the World Cup after missing the 2018 edition. The young Americans are in Group B with England, Wales and Iran, and have a solid chance to make their way out of the Group Stage, with their odds sitting at .
Winning it all seems unlikely, of course, and the odds reflect that, sitting at .
The USMNT has appeared in 10 World Cups, taking third in 1930. Since then, however, the results haven’t been so great, as the US has only advanced beyond the Round of 16 once (2002).
Their counterparts on the United States Women’s National Soccer Team (USWNT), on the other hand, are the most successful side in international women’s soccer. Making bets on the USWNT among the smartest soccer plays you’ll ever make.
The USWNT won the CONCACAF title this summer to qualify for the 2023 Women’s World Cup in Australia. There, the US women will attempt to win a third straight World Cup title.
They’ve won four Women’s World Cup titles and four Olympic gold medals.
Where can I bet on MLS in Michigan?
If you’re looking for a place to go out and watch MLS live while placing some wagers, there are a number of different quality options to explore across the state. Here’s a trio of them, all of which will have the latest MLS odds and lines for you to wager on.
Greektown Casino-Hotel / Barstool Sportsbook
- Name: The Sportsbook at Greektown Casino-Hotel
- Address: 55 E Lafayette St, Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 223-2999
- Sportsbook hours: M-F: 10 a.m. – 11 p.m. S/S: 9 a.m. – Midnight
- Online partner: Future deal with Barstool Sportsbook
In the upper casino level next to Trappers Bar is The Sportsbook at Greektown Casino-Hotel, where you’ll find five betting windows. There are also 40 self-serve betting kiosks located throughout the property. Plans call for this location to be rebranded with the Barstool Sports name in the future.
Turtle Creek Casino / Onyx Sportsbook by William Hill
- Name: Onyx Sportsbook by William Hill
- Address: 7741 M-72, Williamsburg, MI 49690
- Phone: (231) 534-8870
- Sportsbook hours: M-Th: Noon – 12 a.m. Fr/Sa: 10 a.m. – 2 a.m. Su: 10 a.m. – Midnight.
- Online partner: William Hill Michigan
Onyx Sportsbook by William Hill is more than just a place to watch the games. It’s also an awesome spot to hang out. There are complimentary games, an outdoor patio, and a full service bar. Betting windows are open during sportsbook hours, and you’ll also find self-serve kiosks to get in on the action.
Four Winds Casino
- Name: Four Winds Sportsbook
- Address: 11111 Wilson Rd, New Buffalo, MI 49117
- Phone: (866) 494-6371
- Sportsbook hours: 7 days – 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Online partner: TBD
Sports betting terminals are available around the clock at Four Winds. You’ll find plenty of HDTV’s and ample space to kick back with a refreshing beverage as you take in all of the action. The Four Winds locations in Hartford and Dowagiac also have sportsbooks on site for guests to enjoy.
Options abound for watching and wagering on MLS here in Michigan. Among the other places that you’ll want to check out are the FanDuel Sportsbook at MotorCity Casino in Detroit and the RiverRock Sportsbook & Grill at Little River Casino Resort in Manistee.
Soccer betting tips for beginners
Most people in Michigan are new to soccer betting. Beginners should follow these three tips for soccer betting success:
- Do the research: Like any sport, the more you research the game, the better your betting results will be. The difficulty with soccer is that you’re very often betting on games taking place in another part of the world. That makes watching games difficult, but not impossible. There’s also no excuse for not doing some research, as the internet is a treasure trove of information about soccer. Read about what you’re betting on regularly and your results will improve.
- Stay in your wheelhouse: There are so many soccer leagues around the world that no one can be an expert on all of them. So, choose your favorite league (or two) and focus your research there. Become an expert on the few leagues you follow closely, and you’ll be more successful in your wagering. Remember, a jack of all trades is a master of none.
- Form plays: Make sure to check the recent game history for any team you’re thinking of betting. Find out who’s hot, who’s not, and who needs some rest. In doing so, you may be able to find some under-the-radar winners and, conversely, top teams who may be ripe for an upset.
Most professional sports were sidelined in the wake of the global COVID-19 pandemic, but some pro soccer leagues were still running. Plus, soccer is the first pro sport coming back. Try betting on soccer and you’ll quickly see why you should continue betting on the sport even when you have other options.
The English Premier League is the richest league in the world and that helps it attract top talent from around the world. However, Spain’s La Liga and Italy’s Serie A are no slouches in this regard, either, with the world’s best players often making stops at the leagues’ top teams as well.
Football is soccer in the US because the National Football League lays claim to the name football here. So, football is the most popular sport in both the US and around the world, even though they’re two different games.
Sportsbooks use the abbreviation “PK” to indicate when the spread of the game (soccer or otherwise) is zero. In other words, the term PK, which stands for pick, lets you know that the game has no point spread favorite or underdog.
1×2 is another way to indicate three-way betting. Three-way betting refers to the three possible outcomes in a soccer match, namely a home win, an away win, or a draw.
A GG bet is a wager that both teams will be able to score at least once. Alternatively, you can also bet NG (no goals) for either team. Both bet types are available for each half.