MotorCity Casino Hotel & Sportsbook
MotorCity Casino Hotel is the only one of the three commercial casinos in Detroit that is locally-owned and operated.
Local billionaire businesswoman, Little Caesars Pizza co-founder and Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Tigers owner Marian Ilitch was one of the original investors in the casino and bought it outright in 2005.
MotorCity Casino Hotel is located on Grand River Avenue at the Lodge Freeway (M-10) in downtown Detroit, less than a mile from MGM Grand Detroit.
The casino features approximately 2,700 gaming machines, 60 table games, and a poker room. MotorCity Casino Hotel also houses a 400-room high-rise hotel.
The property is home to Detroit’s only AAA Four Diamond award-winning restaurant with a skyline view, a food court with an award-winning buffet, and a Little Caesars Pizza outlet. It also features half a dozen bars, and entertainment options that include a popular live performance venue.
MotorCity Casino Hotel partnered with FanDuel for sports betting and online gambling.
MotorCity Casino Hotel & Sportsbook
- Address: 2901 Grand River Ave, Detroit
- Owner: Marian Ilitch
- Operator: Detroit Entertainment
- Online Sportsbook: FanDuel Sportsbook
- Online Casino: FanDuel Casino
- Online Poker: None
- Hours: 24 hours / 7 days a week
- Casino Games: 2,700+ slots, blackjack, craps, roulette
- Sportsbook: Opened in 2020
- Poker: Tournaments and cash games (NLH and PLO)
- Legal Gambling Age: 21+
Michigan Casinos in the News
Who Wins And Who Loses Following Gov. Whitmer’s Rejection Of Proposed Little River Casino?
MotorCity Casino Hotel online gambling partnerships
In March 2020, MotorCity Casino teamed up with FanDuel Group to launch sports betting and online casino in Michigan. The deal includes a FanDuel-branded retail sportsbook at the Detroit casino.
The partnership brings a heavy-hitter to Michigan’s expanding gambling industry. FanDuel, owned by Flutter Entertainment, got its start in sports betting in New Jersey, where it is the top online and retail brand in that state.
It is expected FanDuel and its MotorCity market access agreement will produce similar dividends in Michigan.
The FanDuel Sportsbook and FanDuel Casino launched with the onset of Michigan online sports betting and online casino play in January 2021.
The casino at MotorCity Casino Hotel
The 100,000-square-foot casino at MotorCity Casino Hotel is open 24 hours.
It features close to 2,00 slots and video poker games, 60 table games, and Detroit’s only poker club. That means the best of electronic gaming and slots, a diverse selection of table games, and some of the city’s best live poker action.
MotorCity Casino Hotel also hosts a smoke-free gaming area on the 2nd floor.
The casino at MotorCity Casino Hotel runs a variety of promotions, including:
- $50,000 Invitational Slot Tournament
- Bounce Back Bonus – Earn $10 or more in comps and get a Reward Play bonus of that same amount.
- Cupid’s Cash – A Valentine’s Day promo offering a chance at $1,000 CASH in hourly drawings, $10 in Reward Play, or a chance at a share of $500 CASH at slot tournaments held every 20 minutes.
- Double Play – Refer a friend for a new Club Metro account and earn your points, and your friend’s for 30 days.
- Early Bird – A chance to win $25,000 or up to $1,000 in Reward Play playing slots on a Sunday morning.
- New Members – Sign up for Club Metro and get $10 Reward Play. Get another $10 Reward Play by entering the secret code MOBILEAPP10 in the MYMotorCity mobile app.
- Night Owl – Invited Club Metro members have a chance to win $25,000 or up to $1,000 in Reward Play playing slots late on Saturday night.
- Secret Code Bonus – Invited Club Metro members can get a minimum of $10 in Reward Play by downloading the MYMotorCity Mobile App and entering their Secret Code.
- Sweetheart Slot Bonus – Another Valentine’s Day promo offering the chance to win up to $1,000 in Reward Play.
MotorCity Casino Hotel is home to 2,700 slots and video poker machines.
That means everything from traditional reel games to the newest five-reel and video games are available in denominations ranging from 1¢ to $100.
The slot area features an interactive audio/video system and the Lightning Link Lounge including 40 linked progressive jackpot slots.
MotorCity Casino Hotel doesn’t have the sheer number of table games you might find at the other Detroit casinos, but the list of different games is a lengthy and diverse one. They’ve got table games covered with 60, including everything from classic casino games to the latest trends.
Here’s a full list of the table games at MotorCity Casino Hotel:
- Spanish 21
- TriLux Blackjack
- House Money Blackjack
- Super 4 Progressive Blackjack
- Buster Blackjack
- Single Zero Roulette
- Blaze Roulette
- Mini-Baccarat (Dragon Side Bet)
- Craps with Fire Bet
- Progressive Pai Gow Poker
- Progressive 3-Card Poker
- Progressive Mississippi Stud
- Progressive Ultimate Texas Hold’em
- Criss Cross Poker
- Casino War
Club Metro rewards program
Club Metro is MotorCity Casino Hotel’s player loyalty program.
The Program rewards members with comps for slots and table game play. Plus, it offers 3% comp back on most cash or credit purchases at MotorCity Casino Hotel.
Comps can be used for dining, shopping, spa treatments, and hotel getaways.
The Club Metro card also entitles users to a minimum 10% discount on food and retail purchases, hotel stays, shows at Sound Board, and spa treatment and services.
Every $15 in comps earned also entitles members to $5 in Reward Play.
Club Metro features four tiers all with increased earning potential, benefits, and discounts.
MotorCity Casino Hotel sportsbook
MotorCity Casino Hotel has a deep connection to Detroit sports as owner Marian Ilitch also owns the Detroit Red Wings (NHL) and Detroit Tigers (MLB).
The casino has long hosted viewing parties for Red Wings and Detroit Pistons games featuring food and drink specials and prize raffles.
Plus, it offers a free shuttle to home games at Little Caesars Arena and $10 in free Reward Play to anyone that visits the MotorCity Casino Hotel booth at the arena.
But with the FanDuel partnership, a retail sportsbook was bound to happen. And it did, opening shortly after the deal was announced. However, it also opened the week most sports canceled or postponed seasons due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The gambling industry in Michigan eventually shut down completely for five months.
When MotorCity reopened in August, the two-story FanDuel Sportsbook was ready. MotorCity Casino Hotel converted its Chromatics and Spectators live music venues into a new sportsbook.
The two-story space features big screen TVs, plush seating, two bars, and several self-serve kiosks and betting windows.
MotorCity Casino Hotel poker room
MotorCity Casino Hotel is home to an 10-table poker room that offers Daily High Hand Jackpots, Bad Beat Jackpots, and No-Limit Texas Hold ‘Em and Pot-Limit Omaha cash games and tournaments.
Poker Room promotions also include a gas gift card giveaway to players putting in 40-plus hours at the tables.
The regular tournament schedule includes Bounty and Deepstack events three days a week and monthly guaranteed prizepool tournaments.
You can find out what’s happening at the MotorCity Casino Hotel Poker Room through the Bravo Poker Live App for Apple and Android mobile devices.
MotorCity Casino Hotel awarded a record “Bad Beat” jackpot of almost $569,000 in 2016.
MotorCity Casino Hotel amenities
The hotel at MotorCity Casino Hotel
MotorCity Casino Hotel launched a 400-room hotel, including 33 suites, in 2007.
The hotel does not have a pool, but there is a spa and fitness center available to hotel guests. The fitness center is open 24 hours a day for hotel guests.
There is also more than 67,000 square feet of function and banquet space on the property.
MotorCity Casino Hotel offers hotel packages that include everything from rooms to spa credit, dining credit, and free slot play.
Dining and entertainment
MotorCity Casino Hotel offers a wide selection of dining and entertainment options, including:
- Iridescence: Award winning fine dining restaurant
- Assembly Line Buffet: Award-winning buffet featuring American and international cuisine
- Little Caesars: Genuine Little Caesars Pizza and menu items
- The Lodge Diner: Dine on Detroit history say, night or late night
- Grand River Deli: Deli fare including burgers, corned beef and pastrami sandwiches, homemade soups, and salads
- Sweet Ride: Fresh-made pastries, gourmet cupcakes, spectacular cakes, and Starbucks coffee
- Strut Bar: Bar-top video slots in the heart of the casino
- The Lounge: More than your typical hotel bar with craft beers and cocktails
- Overdrive: Sound Board pre-show spot
- Headlights Lounge: Bar in the center of everything
- MotorCity Pit Stop: Beer, wine, and cocktails in the food court.
- Iridescence: The bar at Iridescence
- Radio Bar: House DJs and live remote broadcasts from the Detroit’s top radio stations
- Sound Board: Live entertainment venue with space for 2,400
- Chromatics and Spectators: Live music venue about to become the new MotorCity Casino Hotel sportsbook
All Michigan Casinos and Sportsbooks
- Bay Mills Resort & Casinos
- FireKeepers Casino And Hotel Review
- Four Winds Casino New Buffalo
- Gun Lake Casino Michigan
- Hollywood Casino at Greektown
- Island Resort & Casino
- Kewadin Casinos in Michigan
- Leelanau Sands Casino & Lodge Review
- Little River Casino Resort
- MGM Grand Detroit Casino & Sportsbook
- Northern Waters Casino Resort Review
- Odawa Casino Resort & Sportsbook
- Ojibwa Casinos, Marquette and Baraga
- Saganing Eagles Landing Casino & Hotel
- Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort Poker Room Review
- Turtle Creek Casino & Hotel Review
MotorCity Casino Hotel history
In 1996, Michigan voters approved a proposal to build three new commercial casinos in Detroit. In 1997, Michigan lawmakers passed the Michigan Gaming Control & Revenue Act giving three projects the go ahead.
The temporary MotorCity Casino facility officially opened on Dec. 14, 1999.
The temporary home incorporated a building that once housed the Wagner Baking Company, famous for making Wonder Bread.
Permanent hotel and casino
The MotorCity Casino ownership group included the Mandalay Resort Group, Little Caesars Pizza billionaire Marian Ilitch, a group of more than 100 local investors dubbed Atwater Entertainment, and local investor Tom Celani.
In 2005, MGM Mirage, owners of the MGM Grand Detroit, acquired Mandalay Resort Group. Because Michigan law prohibits the ownership of more than one commercial casino, MGM Mirage was forced to sell one.
Ilitch became the sole owner of the MotorCity Casino at that time, paying $525 million for Mandalay’s 53.5% stake, $106 million for Atwater Entertainment’s 11.5% stake, and purchasing Celani’s 10% stake for an undisclosed amount.
At the time, Ilitch claimed buying the casino was a part of her family’s commitment to Detroit’s economic revival.
She went ahead with a $300 million expansion project that included construction of a 400-room, 17-story hotel tower. The new Motor City Casino Hotel opened for business in 2007.
MotorCity Casino Hotel now boasts being the only locally-owned and operated casino in Detroit.
The three Detroit commercial casinos combine to post record revenues of $1.454 billion in 2019. MotorCity Casino saw its highest revenue totals ever, with $493.6 million in annual revenue, second only to MGM Grand Detroit’s $623.5 million.