You can now play real-money poker on your iPhone, iPad, or Android phone in Michigan!
Michigan’s first online poker site arrived Jan. 29. PokerStars is one of the biggest and best-known poker brands available in Michigan.
BetMGM Poker joined the market on March 22 with mobile and desktop capabilities.
You can enjoy regular cash games and tournaments via poker apps. You also can try out new forms of poker, including fast-fold and lottery sit and go formats.
We’ve got you covered for the latest info on Michigan poker sites expected to launch, welcome bonuses, and mobile poker games. You will find information on no-deposit bonuses, getting around the apps and exactly which games are perfect for playing on your phone.
Best real-money poker apps in Michigan
The biggest brands will have poker sites in Michigan. PokerStars and BetMGM Poker both arrived in the first three months of 2021. These sites allow you to play against others from the Great Lakes State. Player pools potentially may be able to be combined with sites in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Nevada at some point.
Here are other brands that could debut in Michigan:
- Party Poker: The Party Poker app combines online poker and casino games under a single account. You can play cash games, sit and goes and Spins at Party Poker. New players get $25 as a no deposit bonus to check out the games.
- WSOP.com: This brand is owned by Caesars Entertainment; the abbreviation stands for World Series of Poker. The WSOP app uses the 888 Poker platform, which is super-easy to use. There are cash games online, plus BLAST Poker . You can get $10 free (no deposit required) to check out the games at WSOP.com.
Online poker apps vs. desktop sites: Which are best?
You can access Michigan poker sites by downloading the software on your desktop or by installing apps on your mobile devices. Each way of accessing the games has benefits and drawbacks. If you are on the move, then the geolocation software in poker apps is vital. The sites will only work within Michigan state lines. If there is any doubt about your true location, you will be locked out of the games.
Certain poker formats work better on desktop. In fact, many of the non-flop games are not available on certain poker apps, depending on the operator.
If you are playing a five-hour-plus guaranteed prize pool tournament, then a desktop is ideal. If you want to play a short cash game session while traveling, then your phone is definitely an option.
Pros of Michigan online poker apps:
- More flexibility to play wherever you want.
- Full cashier function and access to bonuses.
- Games such as zoom and snap poker are optimized for smaller screens.
- Dedicated Android and iOS apps have easy navigation and tables designed for smaller screens.
Cons of Michigan online poker apps:
- Not all poker formats are available on each app.
- Not ideal for longer games such as multi-table tournaments.
- Hard/impossible to multi-table.
- Disconnection risk if you lose your connection.
How do I download a poker app in Michigan?
To ensure that you get the best bonuses and the latest version of the Michigan poker apps, follow our links to the websites using your phone or tablet. The poker brands will then direct you to the correct poker app download page.
If you are using an Android phone or tablet, the poker app for Android download will come directly from the poker site. This download is safe and secure. You will need to OK the download from an “unknown source.” These messages are standard for apps from outside the official Google Play Store.
For iPhones and iPads, your download will come via the Apple App Store after you visit the poker site to claim the best available bonus.
Registration through the app is quick and easy. You will be asked for the following information:
- Email address
- Date of birth
- Last four digits of your Social Security number
You will be ready to play with your no-deposit bonus, or make a deposit and jump into the higher-stakes action within minutes of completing the download. There is no need to be a permanent resident of Michigan to play. You do need to be inside state lines and 21 or older to play real-money poker legally.
Real-money poker games for iOS and Android
Many of the new formats work well via online poker apps, allowing you to play a lot of hands without the need to multi-table.
Here are the different poker formats available:
- Cash games: Regular cash games let you play with real money in front of you. Michigan poker apps have stakes starting at just $2 (1¢/2¢ blinds). You can play six- or nine-handed. Almost all the games are no-limit Texas Hold’em. Other formats include pot-limit Omaha and Omaha hi-lo. All of the brands offer cash games via their smartphone apps.
- Tournaments: Longer form multi-table tournaments are available on some poker apps in Michigan. Many people prefer bigger screens for these games (via a desktop or tablet). Popular formats include rebuy tournaments, turbo speed, knockout bounty events and satellite qualifiers to bigger live or online events.
- Sit and gos: These are typically one-table games, which start when the seats are filled, but there are some multi-table sit and go formats as well. Turbo speed games are popular. Double or nothing sit and go tournaments pay half the field double their buy-in, while half get nothing.
- Fast-fold poker: This format is ideal for mobile poker apps, allowing you to play many hands without the need to play multiple tables. You join a pool of players at specified buy-in levels. Each hand is against random players from your pool. As soon as you fold, a new hand begins.
As real money poker sites gain traction, online poker events will become possible. Examples include the online championship tournament series held by PokerStars or WSOP. These are typically two-week tournament festivals, with multiple big guaranteed prize pools.
Taking advantage of poker bonuses and loyalty rewards
By using a mix of welcome bonuses, promotions and loyalty programs on the poker app, you can help grow your poker bankroll. Competition among the brands is intense, giving you plenty of opportunities to take advantage of bonus deals.
No-deposit poker bonuses give you an opportunity to try the poker apps without risking your own money. They are restricted to one per person and household. If you win money, you will need to wager this multiple times. This prevents people from simply claiming and withdrawing the bonus money. If you get lucky or play well, you can use these deals to start a bankroll and grind it up from there.
Deposit bonuses are the bigger welcome offers. Offers are as big as $1,000 and are matched to your first deposit. This type of bonus typically clears in increments as you play real-money cash games and tournaments.
Welcome offers are only a small part of the long-term rewards that the poker apps offer. Promotions and loyalty rewards will make a bigger difference the longer you play at a site.
Reload bonuses, free-to-enter poker tournaments, extra points for trying out different games, and one-off/unique promotions all make a difference. Loyalty rewards based on the volume of your play and buy-in levels are a great way to get consistent rewards.
It should also be noted that poker apps are free to download and once you register an account, you can enjoy free poker games. The PokerStars poker app, for instance, offers the largest selection of free-to-play games for poker players, including free tournaments, ring games, sit and go’s and more. Players are therefore able to hone their poker skills before deciding to make a deposit online.
How to deposit and cash out quickly
Depositing and withdrawing your winnings can be handled via the cashier screens within the poker apps. Regulated poker sites are extremely safe and allow you to cash out almost instantly. You won’t need to wait 4-6 weeks for a check, as you do with offshore sites.
Michigan poker sites will accept bank cards, transfers from your bank account or an electronic wallet service with complete peace of mind. For players who prefer cash, you can use this at the casino cage of the live venue that holds the license for each poker room.
Here are the banking options expected:
- Visa/Mastercard credit or debit cards
- E-checks (also known as ACH bank transfers)
- Bill pay, at bigger banks you can treat poker as a utility bill
- Skrill/Neteller, alternative e-wallets like PayPal
- Bank wire can be used for larger sums
- PayNearMe: cash payment at your local 7-Eleven store
- Cash at cage
Note that withdrawals will need to be via the same banking method you used to fund your account whenever this is possible. If you are unable to use any of the regular withdrawal options, you can receive a paper check via USPS mail.
Are online poker apps safe?
Online poker is under the control of the Michigan Gaming Control Board (MGCB). Its licensing requirements were set out in Michigan House Bill 4311, which became law in December 2019. Compared to offshore “gray market” poker sites, you have a lot of protections when playing for real money in Michigan. If you do end up with a dispute, you can escalate the complaint to the MGCB.
The shuffling of cards on poker apps is controlled by advanced random number generator (RNG) software. This generates random numbers at the start of each new hand. Part of the licensing requirement in Michigan is that the RNG software is externally audited.
Big brand names that operate the MI poker apps have been running around the world for years. Between PokerStars, 888 (WSOP) and Party, billions of hands have been dealt. Despite tracking services, audits and individual player databases tracking these hands, there is zero evidence of a rigged deal.
Part of the safety processes for Michigan poker sites is to look after individuals who may develop problem gambling behavior. You will find self-assessment questionnaires, links to support groups and tools to take timeouts or self-exclude included in the apps.
Some of the biggest poker brands have Michigan-specific apps. These work for iPhones/iPads and for Android phones. Poker apps for real money on iPhone and Android work only inside Michigan state lines.
Not all types of poker are suitable for playing on smaller screens. It is hard to play multiple tables. New fast-fold poker games solve this problem by speeding up the action.
Make sure you take advantage of bonuses and promotions. The intense rivalry among the brands means that there are some excellent poker bonuses available. They include no deposit deals, welcome matched bonuses and loyalty rewards.