Hollywood Casino at Greektown
Hollywood Casino at Greektown is one of three commercial casinos in Detroit, Michigan. The property is owned by Caesars Entertainment real estate trust spinoff VICI Properties and operated by Penn National Gaming.
Located in downtown Detroit’s historic Greektown Entertainment District, Hollywood Casino at Greektown features approximately 2,800 gaming machines, 60 table games and a poker room. Hollywood Casino at Greektown is also home to a 400-room high-rise hotel. Plus, there are a variety of restaurants, quick-serve food outlets and bars on the property.
In 2021, Hollywood Casino at Greektown entered the Michigan online casino market, including poker, retail and mobile sports betting. A retail sportsbook opened in March 2020 and is now powered by the Barstool Sports brand.
Previously named Greektown Casino Hotel & Sportsbook Lounge, it was renamed Hollywood Casino at Greektown on May 1, 2022.
Hollywood Casino at Greektown
- Address: 555 E Lafayette St., Detroit
- Owner: VICI Properties
- Operator: Penn National Gaming
- Hours: 24 hours / 7 days a week
- Casino games: 3,000+ slots, blackjack, craps, roulette
- Sportsbook: Opened March 11, 2020
- Poker: Tournaments and cash games (NLH, O8 with Kill and PLO)
Michigan Casinos in the News
Turtle Creek To Start Major Hotel Renovations Sept. 6; Casino Will Remain Open Throughout
Greektown online gambling partnerships
Hollywood Casino at Greektown operator Penn National Gaming inked multi-year agreements with several leading sports betting operators for online and mobile sports betting and online gambling market access in July 2019.
The initial plan included subsidiary Penn Interactive Ventures LLC managing the different relationships and the company’s primary sports betting and online gaming initiatives through a partnership with service provider Kambi.
Penn National joined forces with the Barstool Sports spread to house its Michigan sportsbook operations at online launch in January 2021.
Hollywood Casino at Greektown online casino
Penn National Gaming subsidiary Penn Online Entertainment inked a five-year deal with International Game Technology in 2018. This makes Hollywood Casino at Greektown’s online casino software partner a little more obvious.
The agreement is for IGT to provide a full suite of digital gaming products, including online casino platform and services, to Penn National Gaming’s Hollywood Casino at Penn National Racecourse property in Pennsylvania. The property launched the HollywoodCasino.com online casino on the IGT platform in 2019.
Penn National Gaming also signed NetEnt as a game provider partner for the site.
The online casino launched as Barstool Casino in February 2021.
The casino at Hollywood Casino at Greektown
Hollywood Casino at Greektown is home to a 100,000-square-foot casino.
Inside, you’ll find approximately 2,800 gaming machines, 60 table games and a live poker room. That means a huge variety of slots, video poker machines, and one of the largest selection of table games in Michigan.
This includes Hollywood Casino at Greektown’s unique PULSE Table Games, an electronic table game experience combining live dealer games with advanced interconnected game tables.
There’s also a private High Limit Gaming Area with over 90 high-limit slot machines and dozens of casino table games, including roulette, baccarat and a salon with six blackjack tables.
The casino at Hollywood Casino at Greektown runs a variety of promotions, giving you the chance to win cash, Bonu$ Play and prizes.
Here’s a list of promotions:
- Timber Tower Game: Win up to $10,000 every thirty minutes on Fridays from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. One name is drawn to play the Timber Tower Game and asked to remove a wooden block from the tower of blocks, revealing a prize.
- Concert Ticket Draw: The chance to win tickets to local shows is available to all GT|Rewards members.
- Jackpot Party Drawing: Win up to an additional $20,000 in cash and prizes if you hit a qualifying jackpot.
- Real Time Rewards Sign Up Bonus: Register for Real Time Rewards, wager $10 at any slot machine or table game and you will receive $10 in Bonu$ Play or Comp Bet.
- The Beat That Pays: Play poker, lose with quads or better and receive $1,000 in cash. Winning hand also gets $500.
- High Hand: $300 Hold ’em and $200 Omaha High Hands daily from 10 a.m. to midnight
Hollywood Casino at Greektown is home to nearly 3,000 slots and video poker machines. You’ll find everything from penny slots to $100 slots and video poker on the property.
Hollywood Casino at Greektown is also committed to continually adding new slots, with games including Panda Fu Dai Lian Lian, Buffalo Gold Collection and JAMES BOND 007- Goldfinger among those hitting the floor recently.
You can roll the dice, spin the wheel, and hit, split, stand or double down at 60 table games inside Hollywood Casino at Greektown.
In fact, Hollywood Casino at Greektown claims its Super Pit is home to the best table game action in Detroit.
Here’s a full list of the table games available on the property:
- Blackjack with Perfect Pair
- Double Up Blackjack
- TriLux Blackjack with Lucky George
- Double Deck Blackjack
- Craps with Fire Bet
- Crapless Craps with Fire Bet
- Roulette (Single 0)
- Roulette (Double 0)
- Dragon Bonus Baccarat
- Dragon Bonus Commission Free Baccarat
- EZ Baccarat
- Mississippi Stud 3 Card Bonus Optional Side Bet
- 3 Card Poker
- 4 Card Poker Bad Beat Bonus
- Let It Ride with Three Card Bonus
- Ultimate Texas Hold ’Em
- High Card Flush
- Pai Gow Poker
- Face-Up Pai Gow
- Face Up Pai Gow with a Progressive Jackpot
- Three Card Poker with a Progressive Jackpot
- 5 card multi game with a Progressive Jackpot
For now, the Greektown Casino-Hotel also offers you the chance to join its GT|Rewards program, combining a traditional casino loyalty rewards program with the Greektown Casino mobile app. However, Greektown Casino-Hotel is transitioning to Penn National Gaming’s mychoice loyalty program in 2020.
GT|Rewards is free to enter and gives you the chance to earn rewards with all gameplay. The program also includes prize giveaways, hotel and dining discounts, offers and VIP options for parking and exclusive promotions.
There are five membership levels, each offering increased benefits. All members earn comps, cash back, Bonu$ Play and tier points.
Tier points allow you to move up through the program’s five membership levels
All members earn tier points according to the following schedule:
- Slots: $5 coin-in = 1 tier point
- Video poker: $10 coin-in = 1 tier point
- Electronic games: $40 coin-in = 1 tier point
- Table games: Varies by game played, amount bet and time played
- Poker: 1 hour of poker = 20 tier points
- Non-gaming purchase: $5 purchase = 1 tier point
GT|Connect is the Greektown Casino mobile app. It works in concert with GT|Rewards, allowing you to use a virtual players card on your mobile device by plugging the device into a slot machine or scanning a barcode at table games.
GT|Connect will also allow you to charge your mobile device at slot machines and table games and use the virtual players card everywhere on the property you use a traditional players card.
Barstool Sportsbook at Hollywood Casino at Greektown
Hollywood Casino at Greektown made a major investment in sports betting, opening Barstool Sportsbook in December 2020.
Penn National Gaming reportedly put $1 million into construction of a temporary sports betting lounge on the property that it opened in March 2020. Plus, it put millions more into a 5,000- to 6,000-square-foot permanent sportsbook in the center of the casino floor. The permanent sportsbook will replaced Hollywood Casino at Greektown’s underperforming Synergy electronic table games section.
The permanent Barstool Sportsbook has walls covered with HDTV screens, betting kiosks and bars.
Greektown officials run an online and mobile sportsbook in Michigan. Barstool Sportsbook is the brand for that.
Considering the prime location, Hollywood Casino at Greektown officials have particularly high hopes for retail sports betting. The hope is that the Hollywood Casino at Greektown sportsbook will be a popular pregame and postgame location for Tigers and Lions games, providing a shot in the arm for the property and downtown Detroit.
Ultimately, Hollywood Casino at Greektown is expecting retail sports betting to provide it with a 10% revenue boost and a new customer acquisition tool it can use to attract people who never had a reason to come to a casino before.
Hollywood Casino at Greektown poker room
Hollywood Casino at Greektown is home to a 12-table smoke-free poker room that spreads hold ’em and Omaha cash games and tournaments.
The poker room is filled with plasma TVs and offers complimentary snacks and drinks.
Players earn $1 an hour in comps for live play in any game. Plus, promotions include $300 (hold ’em) and $200 (Omaha) high hands and a $1,000 for quads beaten.
The regular tournament schedule includes:
- Monday: Money $120 NLHE, 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday: $70 Senior NLHE, 2 p.m.
- Saturday: No-Limit Texas Hold ’em, 11:30 a.m.
- Sunday: $50 + $10 No-Limit Texas Hold ’em, 11:30 a.m.
Hollywood Casino at Greektown amenities
The hotel at Hollywood Casino at Greektown
Hollywood Casino at Greektown features a 400-room 30-story AAA Four Diamond hotel in historic Greektown. The hotel offers downtown Detroit skyline and river views and comfortable, modern and contemporary decor.
The hotel also includes 20,000 square feet of convention space and a 4,000-square-foot grand ballroom.
There’s a Starbucks in the lobby and direct access to the casino.
Hollywood Casino at Greektown offers special perk-filled play-and-stay hotel packages.
Hollywood Casino at Greektown offers a wide selection of dining options and bars.
Monroe Market and Noodle Art
The Monroe Market and Noodle Art eateries are on the third level of the casino.
Noodle Art promises traditional Japanese ramen with a Detroit twist.
Monroe Market has something for everyone, with an 11,000-square-foot communal dining room featuring fast-casual eateries such as:
- Pit Boss: Classic barbecue favorites served out of an Airstream-style trailer.
- Southern Fry: Where Detroit meets the South.
- Tia Loca: Mexican street fare.
- 313 Burger Bar: Burgers, Detroit-style Coney dogs and vegan-friendly Impossible burgers.
- Basil Leaf Pizza: Made-to-order Neapolitan pizzas.
- Josephine Bakery: Artisanal bakery featuring tasty treats.
- Prism: Prism is an award winning steakhouse featuring live music and a view of the Detroit skyline. The menu combines top-quality steaks, seafood and pasta dishes. Plus, Prism promises a well-rounded wine and drink list.
- Bistro 555: Bistro 555 is where the Hollywood Casino at Greektown does breakfast. It’s an award-winning buffet in a dynamic and vibrant setting.
- STACK’D: On the casino’s lower level, STACK’D is a casual place to grab a quick bite. The menu features appetizers, pizza, sandwiches and something for everyone
Being in Greektown means Hollywood Casino at Greektown is steps away from many of Detroit’s best restaurants.
Thanks to agreements with many of these establishments, you can use the comps you’ve earned at Hollywood Casino at Greektown to dine there.
Greektown restaurants accepting Hollywood Casino at Greektown comps include:
- Andiamo Detroit Riverfront
- Astoria Pastry Shop
- Cold Stone & Rocky Mountain Chocolate
- Eat-N-Out Pizza & Gelato
- Five Guys Burgers and Fries
- Golden Fleece
- Ham Shop Cafe
- Monroe St. Steakhouse
- Orchid Thai
- Red Smoke BBQ
- Starbucks (Greektown Hotel Lobby Only)
- Wright & Co.
All Michigan Casinos and Sportsbooks
- Bay Mills Resort & Casino
- FireKeepers Casino And Hotel Review
- Four Winds Casino New Buffalo
- Gun Lake Casino Michigan
- Island Resort & Casino
- Kewadin Casinos in Michigan
- Leelanau Sands Casino & Lodge Review
- Little River Casino Resort
- MGM Grand Detroit Casino & Sportsbook
- MotorCity Casino Hotel & Sportsbook
- Northern Waters Casino Resort Review
- Odawa Casino Resort & Sportsbook
- Ojibwa Casinos, Marquette and Baraga
- Saganing Eagles Landing Casino & Hotel
- Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort Poker Room Review
- Turtle Creek Casino & Hotel Review
Hollywood Casino at Greektown history
A proposal to establish three non-tribal commercial casinos in Detroit was approved by Michigan voters in 1996.
In 1997, the Michigan Gaming Control & Revenue Act was passed, authorizing the launch of three licensed Detroit casinos.
The Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians and a group of investors holding 10% of the business were granted the third commercial casino license.
The tribe launched Detroit’s third commercial casino operation, Greektown Casino-Hotel, on Nov. 10, 2000. The casino opened on Monroe Street in the city’s Greektown Historic District inside a building that originally housed fur trapper Traugott Schmidt’s fur processing center. It had been the five-story Trapper’s Alley mall since 1985.
Hotel and casino expansion
In 2007, a 400-room hotel and a 13-story parking garage were opened next to the casino. Additional casino floor space was added over Lafayette Street in 2008, bringing the total to 100,000 square feet.
A year later, 20,000 square feet of convention space and a 4,000-square-foot grand ballroom were built.
Parent company Greektown Casino LLC filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in May 2008, claiming it had faced financial and logistics problems, mostly with parking, since it opened. The property had never truly met financial goals, and revenue was down 4.6% at the time.
However, a financial consulting firm working on the bankruptcy said the casino was a healthy and profitable business using Chapter 11 for reorganization.
The casino continued to operate as normal.
Greektown Casino-Hotel emerged from bankruptcy protection in 2010. A new corporation, Greektown Superholdings Inc. and subsidiary Greektown Newco Sub Inc. assumed 100% ownership.
Jack Detroit Casino-Hotel?
However, Rock Gaming, a joint venture between Caesars Entertainment and Quicken Loans founder and Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, acquired a majority interest in 2013.
Rock Gaming became Jack Entertainment and changed the name of most of its other casino properties. In 2016, plans were made to change the name of the Greektown Casino-Hotel to Jack Detroit Casino-Hotel. Those plans were delayed and eventually dropped.
In 2018, Penn National Gaming and VICI Properties entered into an agreement to purchase Greektown Casino-Hotel for $1 billion in cash.
VICI Properties bought the land and real estate assets for $700 million. Penn National Gaming paid $300 million to Jack Entertainment to take over operations and agreed to lease the property from VICI for $55.6 million per year.
On May 1, 2022, Greektown Casino-Hotel was officially changed to Hollywood Casino at Greektown.